Subject: Re: Dynamic memory allocation?

Re: Dynamic memory allocation?

From: George Styles <>
Date: 2006-01-02

The (much argued over) view of the rockbox dev'ers is that dynamic
memory allocation is a bad idea in embedded systems, like Rockbox.

The reason usually given is that you have to deal with the 'worst
case' scenario anyway (ie, all resources are needed), therefore you
need at least this much ram available, in case everything is happening
at once. If this is the case, you might as well statically allocate

Oh, and its a lot simpler to not have malloc etc :)

I guess if you know that 2 things are never going to need the same
memory at the same time (maybe mp3 decoding and ogg decoding), why not
just allocate a static buffer of mp3_or_ogg_buffer