Subject: Re: My vote for BMP cache removal

Re: My vote for BMP cache removal

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: 2006-02-01

On 31.01.2006, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> Hi

> I'm not at all fond of the BMP cache thing that was added the
> other day. I think it bloats code, is complex and is the wrong
> answer to the minor performance problems we might have when

> I'd rather see us move towards using a single BMP with "chop"
> instructions for what to use.

I'm with you here.

There seems to be an additional area for gaining performance -
it was reported that WPS loading on iPod is way faster than on
iriver. The CPU speed is similar, so I can only imagine 2
possible causes: (1) The iriver ATA driver needs optimising. (2)
The endian swap in fat.c.

Regards, Jens