Subject: Re: My vote for BMP cache removal

Re: My vote for BMP cache removal

From: stephan wezel <s.wezel_at_arcor.de>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 11:56:24 +0100

Daniel Stenberg schrieb:

> On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Christi Alice Scarborough wrote:
>
>> While wee on the subject, the image tag method currently used is
>> deeply unsatisfactory, since it arbitrarily limits the number of
>> images. I'm vaguely in favour of moving to a top left/bottom right
>> co-ordinate based syntax for specifying which part of the image to
>> display once we have single image. Thoughts?
>

> Stephan Wezel's patch seems (as I have only read the description) to
> be doing that:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&atid=439120&group_id=44306&aid=1368890

Daniel that's right.
The %xp-tag has five additional parameters (compared too the %xl-/%x-tags)
with these additional parameters you define the id of the source-image ,
the position and size of the subimage in the source-image.

I have personaly a slightly modified version of the Simple-wps running.
And all used images are located in the 160x25 image which was the
background-image in the original wps. With this patch i only need a
562Byte big image-file.
Compared to the total size of the individual images (which is ca 1.6KB)
the needed size on the disk is decreased by ca.65%.

I don't say that all images must be combined in one image. But i think
it is at least for conditional-images, which have mostly the same
dimension, a good solution to reduce the amount of individual images for
each wps.