Subject: Lyrics

From: David Bleakley <>
Date: 2006-02-07

Dear all,
              I have managed to get LYRICS displayed from an id3 tag. Unsynchronised Lyrics:
  Basically I find the tag (using id3.c) I then copy the text to .rockbox/lyrics.txt and then call the viewer plug-in to open it. Very simple and the viewer is great for it. (Took me ages to work out though)
  I have updated the menus on play now has 'Show lyrics'. I will try to work out diff -u and how to upload the patch tonight.
  Before I do I have a few questions
  Calling the text viewer to open .rockbox/lyrics.txt brings up a warning about an implicit call.
  [Q1] Is there a way I can do it without the warning?
  I initially loaded the text into the ram using the local buffer: char id3v2buf[300] in id3.h It was part of the taglist[] structure in id3.c
  The problem was when I increased the buffer size to fit the text, there was a conflict somewhere; as mp3s with large tags returned an error instead of playing and menus started dissapearing.
  My plan is to create a 2 dimensional array (as part of the tag structure would be nice) I would include time from synchronised lyrics, or fill it with mp3length/number_of_lines in one column and a line of lyrics in the 2nd. WPS could then display lyrics.
  [Q2] How can I create a 2D array of variable size which does not have the memory conflicts?
  [Q3] Should I use id3v2buf[300]?
  [Q4a] Should I try to load the whole lyrics tag at once to the array as it takes up memory?
  [Q4b] If not is there a way of determining at what mp3 play time the disk is going to spin up? Lyrics reading could then be synchronised with Mpeg reading
  Thank you
  David Bleakley