Subject: Re: Hi & Wavpack broken?

Re: Hi & Wavpack broken?

From: Thom Johansen <thomj_at_pvv.ntnu.no>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 15:28:34 +0100

Christi Alice Scarborough wrote:

>David,
>
>I don't know if I'm alone in this desire, but I think it could be very
>valuable for Rockbox to handle correction files, if that's possible
>within the constraints of the platform. In this way it would be
>possible to carry around lossless versions of your tracks, but delete
>the correction files of the less used tracks when space becomes tight,
>giving a best of both worlds scenario.
>
>Christi

Not trivial with the current file buffering system. The playback system
assumes that all files are standalone and have no dependencies. With a
correction file, you now have two files that both need to be streamed
from the hard disk to the MP3 buffer, which will be tricky in the case where
both don't fit in the buffer at the same time, which will be pretty common,
seing as this is a lossless codec. The way to solve this would probably be
to have some Wavpack specific loader that buffered one frame from the
lossy file, then the corresponding frame in the correction file, and so on,
and this will probably be pretty slow as compared to loading one file.

Thom