Subject: Re: Help with the iriver iFP port

Re: Help with the iriver iFP port

From: Andreas Gnau <Rondom_at_rondom.de>
Date: 2006-02-22

Hi,
Tomasz Malesinski schrieb:
> I have not yet opened my ifp790, although I could do it, because my
> warranty is theoreticaly void after flashing the modified firmware,
> but right know I don't have a suitable screwdriver at hand (I know,
> that's a rather silly reason...). So if you could make photos of your
> player and put them on the wiki it would be a great help. I still do
> not know what exactly DRAM and RTC chips are inside.
I could do so because my warranty has already expired. I'll post some
pics, when I have time.

> You could also contribute to the project by being the first to test a
> ifp8xx firmware modified to run Rockbox (it would treat .wma files as
> code and run them instead of playing them). There is a little risk of
> making the player unusable by flashing it with modified firmware,
> although I would first test it in my emulator, so the risk would be
> reduced to minimum. The modified firmware for ifp8xx isn't yet done,
> but I can prepare it. If you agree, I would also ask you to run a
> program which would check the configuration of the flash memory (what
> chips are connected where). This would allow me to add support for 1 GB
> ifp models in Rockbox (only 256 MB ones are supported for now).
I can do so, but to be honest I'm afraid of breaking my player. Although
I already tested a patched firmware with a lower vorbis bitrate limit
using the simulator and it works fine with my player, now.
We'll see. At least there's someone I can blame if something goes wrong...