Subject: Re: Multifont: testing & feedback (HD spinning)

Re: Multifont: testing & feedback (HD spinning)

From: bk <mutualaid_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2006-02-27

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 11:33 -0700, Greg Haerr wrote:
> It sounds like the font buffer should be shared between
> fonts, so that each "loaded" font doesn't use an entirely
> new buffer.

Wouldn't this mean that the font would have to be reloaded from disk
every time the user switched from one screen to another? That means at
least a 1-2 second delay (much more if the disk is spun down) every time
the displayed font changes.

> The font cache code should be changed to use a font number and
> character code, so that it also can be shared between loaded
> fonts, rather than having a separate cache per font.

Hmm, maybe (I'm not sure how to do that however...). I don't see how
that would change the situation much, though. We'll still need X static
font buffers for fonts <= MAXFONTSIZE.

bk