Subject: Re: Multifont: testing & feedback (HD spinning)

Re: Multifont: testing & feedback (HD spinning)

From: Greg Haerr <greg_at_censoft.com>
Date: 2006-02-27

: Wouldn't this mean that the font would have to be reloaded from disk
: every time the user switched from one screen to another? That means at
: least a 1-2 second delay (much more if the disk is spun down) every time
: the displayed font changes.

What I'm saying is that the font buffers could be shared
between all characters of all fonts. By keeping track of the
font number as well as the character, all displayed characters
would be cached from the same area, subject to LRU loading.
The entire font cache could be made larger (or smaller) as
desired, without having to pre-allocate five times the memory
for five fonts, as is required now.

: Hmm, maybe (I'm not sure how to do that however...). I don't see how
: that would change the situation much, though. We'll still need X static
: font buffers for fonts <= MAXFONTSIZE.

No, by keeping a font number in the buffer, we wouldn't need
the MAXFONTNUM font buffers.

Regards,

Greg