Subject: Re: half-idea for #ifdef and key deifnition hell...

Re: half-idea for #ifdef and key deifnition hell...

From: Brandon Low <lostlogic_at_lostlogicx.com>
Date: 2006-03-23

On Thu, 03/23/06 at 10:06:57 +1100, Jonathan Gordon wrote:
> On 23/03/06, Brandon Low <lostlogic@lostlogicx.com> wrote:
> > Great work! You just took some work off of Christi's plate toward
> > cleaning up button definition hell. This is basically very closely
> > along the lines of what we were talking about at devcon for button
> > functions, and by moving the pre logic up to a higher level, we can
> > reduce code size and improve clarity in the button switch loops.
> >
> > Some questions to ponder:
> >
> > What is our next step from here?
> im not entirely sure :p i was hopeing this msg would get more responses...
> im gonna implement the function today in 1 of my plugins that uses
> _pre on some targets and see how it goes..

I assume that this function will not have to exist within the event
loop, so that it can be pulled back to a higher level to avoid code
duplication?

And also what Daniel said about working on other things that are 3.0
material currently (playback.c here I come).

> > Are there some button definitions which are optional or nonsensical on
> > some targets which should be made optional?
> > Where can we implement the _PRE logic so that it doesn't have to be
> > duplicated all over the place, and so that (on ipod) scroll touched
> > events don't interfere with it's proper operation?
> im only worried about the scroll wheel events.. i dont have an ipod so
> it might be hard to test it out... but we'll see

Scroll events may initially be handled just like other button events,
I'm interested in creating (with Mikachu's help) an absolute positioning
system for ipod 5g targets, but that doesn't _necessarily_ have to fit
into the normal operation of buttons. Would be nice if it did though.

Brandon