Subject: Re: Signing off.

Re: Signing off.

From: Nix <nix_at_esperi.org.uk>
Date: 2006-03-30

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Daniel Stenberg stipulated:
> On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, gl wrote:
>
>> After Linus was about to commit one of my patches, it turns out the project leaders are not willing to accept contributions under
>> a pseudonym. This may be normal in the GPL world, but for someone from the Windows / BSD license world, this seems utterly
>> bizarre.
>
> Since we had this debate the last time, a large amount of Open Source
> projects have gone a lot stricter in this department and we are
> certainly not alone in this stand-point. Some of them are BSD-style
> too.

FWIW, I've contributed code to numerous projects, including FSF-owned
ones and ones owned by the Apache Foundation.

None have had the *least* objection to a pseudonym (although of course
on the legal papers that the FSF and Apache require, I used my real
name and indicated the nom de net that I contributed under).

Rockbox's antipathy towards pseudonymous contributions is unique in my
experience. I can see no benefit to it.

--
`Come now, you should know that whenever you plan the duration of your
 unplanned downtime, you should add in padding for random management