Subject: Re: midk: Crossfade skipping tracks only.

Re: midk: Crossfade skipping tracks only.

From: gl <gl_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: 2006-03-31

>> Only use Crossfade when the next track is NOT from the same artist and
>> album ....

Good idea. + ... and the next logical track in the list (ie. not shuffled).

The lag I mentioned previously is of course the result of the cross-fade not
activating until the next song's data is in the buffer (disk access in my
case). So instead I propose another new mode - 'fade out instantly'. This
has all the benefits of making the transition smoother, but is more
responsive and takes less time to happen altogether.

> That's an interesting idea. I'm also thinking about the possibility of
> other fade options, as well as different fade types/speeds (linear,
> logarithmic, etc) - may or may not work well.

Configurable fade curves are definitely worth having, and should of course
be reused between all fade features.

OK, is 'midk' monitoring this? If not, anybody have a contact email so we
can get the suggestions to him?

> In other news - I used my iPod for about two hours today total, all
> FLAC music. I didn't have any problems at all with the "track skip
> only" setting.
>
> Can you be any more specific about what the problem you're having is
> exactly? I'd like to be able to reproduce it...

As I said in my first mail, when I enter a new directory and start to play
files, skip crossfading usually (but not always) works for 2 or 3 skips.
After that the crossfading usually stops working - skips are 'hard' again.
Sometimes it works again a few files later, sometimes it doesn't. I haven't
found a reliable pattern.

Just tried this again, and it seems a Wavpack-only problem (no doubt caused
by the problem I bugged). I was pretty sure I'd seen it on MP3 too
occasionally, but now I can't repro.

--
gl