Subject: Re: make the cvs build zips smaller?

Re: make the cvs build zips smaller?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 10:26:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 3 May 2006, Manuel Dejonghe wrote:

>> Doing full/light packages will help the users who download packages, not
>> build servers that create them.
>
> Could the central build server not repackage submissions from such
> slow-connected-servers ?

It would somewhat defeat the purpose of the distributed builds to bring back
significant work to the main server. The files that would be missing in a
"light build" would still be target-specific so they would not just be an
identical set of files to append to all packages unconditionally.

I can easily imagine us continually increasing the amount of builds and we
need the distributed "effect".

> Or let the central server do the packaging only.

The packaging needs lots of files that are created during the build so thus
only a machine that builds for a target can package for that target.

There's also this angle: the current script works like this and it seems like
a lot more work to add work-arounds for build servers with severly capped
upload rates than to just say that we prefer servers without such limitations.
I would expect that many people out there have more than 200Kbit/s upload
capabilities on their servers...

And yes, I'm old and grumpy! ;-)