Subject: Re: make the cvs build zips smaller?

Re: make the cvs build zips smaller?

From: Bluechip <csbluechip_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2006-05-03

>>I can highly recommend 7-zip to make things smaller still. It
>>worked wonders for The DevKit ...try it, I think you'll be
>>pleasantly surprised :) And to boot it's all gpl open-source etc. :))
>
>... and we've supported 'make 7zip' in Rockbox for a while already.
>I just don't think the world is ready for us to switch all our
>official builds over to 7zip completely instead of zip.
>
>Or am I wrong?

I would say that if the files were distributed as .7z files, then no
- the world is NOT ready :(
But I found that even with a self-extractor stuck on, the .7z.exe
file was still smaller than a gzip file [whether created by 7zip or
gzip] ...I would suggest this be checked for a "Rockbox distro" as it
is (by nature) considerably smaller than anything I have worked on
(relevant to this post).

BC