Subject: Re: make the cvs build zips smaller?

Re: make the cvs build zips smaller?

From: Daniel Stenberg <>
Date: 2006-05-04

On Thu, 4 May 2006, Manuel Dejonghe wrote:

>> 7zip is a bad idea and best case scenario is that you'll only see 15-30%
>> filesize savings.
> I don't see the point, as the original concern was "cpu power > bandwidth"

Yeps. In my quick and naive zip/7zip compression tests I did a number of
months ago, the typical gain for a was in fact more than 30%.

Since we're talking about packages that are downloaded thousands of times
*every day* we would also cut down on bandwidth for the server(s) hosting the
downloads. (If we also count the daily builds.)

  Daniel Stenberg -- --