Subject: Re: make the cvs build zips smaller?

Re: make the cvs build zips smaller?

From: bk <mutualaid_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2006-05-04

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 07:38 +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> Yeps. In my quick and naive zip/7zip compression tests I did a number of
> months ago, the typical gain for a rockbox.zip was in fact more than 30%.

Since rockbox.zip tends to be pretty small I imagine it's skewing the
results a bit (30% of 2MB is only 600k).

> Since we're talking about packages that are downloaded thousands of times
> *every day* we would also cut down on bandwidth for the server(s) hosting the
> downloads. (If we also count the daily builds.)

It seems to me the smarter solution would be to separate the binary &
lang components from the WPS/themes/fonts parts (as was discussed),
rather than just switching to 7z.

That said, I'm not really *against* 7z since it's LGPL and available for
all major OSes.

bk