Subject: Re: zip / fontzip / fullzip

Re: zip / fontzip / fullzip

From: Daniel Stenberg <>
Date: 2006-05-10

On Wed, 10 May 2006, Manuel Dejonghe wrote:

> Sounds good. Maybe the same could be done with wps/themes ? This would
> of course make a wps-pack per unit (or unit-class).

I built a zip on ipod video to get a large amount of WPSs to check the size

Removing all themes and WPS files from the full zip saves 148514 bytes from
the latest CVS version. I don't think this little difference is worth the
effort of having lots of scattered themes/wps packages etc.

Also, when we improve the script we should get less "bad" themes
built and bundled (thus even more reducing the gain of a separate wps
package). The current wpsbuild includes all WPS that fit on the screen, which
means it includes lots of "too small" WPSs that nobody actually wants to use.

> How are we going to help new users to understand that they need to install
> two packs ?

Release packages should be made fullzip. Daily/bleeding downloaders will have
to read the upcoming big notice at the top of the screen I guess.

> We could tell them to install 2.5 / 3.0, then to "upgrade" with a daily
> build. (I hope the font format change was before 2.5 !?!)

Yeps, the current font format was introduced in August 2004.

  Daniel Stenberg -- --