Subject: Re: patches to build UISimulator on Mac OS X 10.4.6

Re: patches to build UISimulator on Mac OS X 10.4.6

From: Bill Janssen <janssen_at_parc.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 08:46:25 PDT

Daniel,

> I certainly would like to see the simulator getting possible to build nicely
> on this Mac OS setup. I only have a few remarks/nits on the patch:
>
> - It removes the map file creation from apps/Makefile for no apparent reason.
> If it causes problems on Mac OS X then only Mac OS X builds should have it
> disabled IMHO.

"ld" on the Mac doesn't support that linker option (it's -M). You
could conditionalize it. But I didn't see the point of generating a
link map for the simulator program, anyway.

> - The added SHARED_FLAG conditional logic is scattered over many Makefiles
> now. I suggest an include file or similar to have it done once but included
> where needed.

Good idea. Go for it.

> - It unconditionally removes bubbles from apps/plugins/SOURCES

Yep, bubbles didn't build cleanly, and I didn't want to figure out why. You
could remove that patch.

> - your echo lines added in uisimulator/common/Makefile should rather use the
> $(SILENT) approach we use all over in all other Makefiles

I'd just take those out of the patch. Good catch.

I'll spend a little time trying to figure out the audio problem, but I
don't need it for my application, so can't promise anything.

Bill