Subject: Re: 3.0 release announcement

Re: 3.0 release announcement

From: Kevin Everets <flynn_at_clarkhall.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 08:04:05 -0400

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 06:43:11PM -0400, Ray Lambert wrote:

> I disagree with those calling for a beta release. The problem with a
> beta release is that it implies that the code freeze must be kept on.
> But the code freeze is the real problem here since it's holding up
> development. OTOH, if you release a beta and lift the code freeze,
> there's going to be a frenzy of activity and you lose any hope of making
> a simple bug fix release. (Unless you branch the beta release... nasty
> IMO).

I don't understand why you think a branch is a nasty idea. If the
real problem is the hold-up in development, then a branch makes the
most sense. All the development that's being held up happens in the
head, and the 3.0 branch takes all the bugfixes it needs up until
release. Developers are quite capable of fixing bugs in one branch
and adding features in another. I don't see a downside to that.

Kevin.