Subject: Re: Replaygain: Creating tags the easy way

Re: Replaygain: Creating tags the easy way

From: Tobias Heimann <>
Date: 2006-05-22

Hi John,
> Am I the only human beeing on this planet using rockbox and linux and
> does have a desperate need for replaygain? Does no one else mix some
> tracks from the 70's with current pop music in a playlist and listen
> to full albums as an entity the other day? Is just everyone using
> foobar2000?
I think you are mixing up mp3gain and replaygain:

Replaygain adds special tags to the mp3 files (indicating the loudness),
and afaik Rockbox is the only way to play these files properly on a
portable device. As you wrote, Foobar2000 is one of the software players
that support it on PCs.

Mp3gain uses the same algorithm as replaygain to calculate loudness,
also writes some tags, but in addition changes the mp3 sound data itself
(reversibly and without re-encoding). That means that files treated with
mp3gain will play with the correct loudness on all players, including
portables without Rockbox.

Best wishes,