Subject: Re: Replaygain: Creating tags the easy way

Re: Replaygain: Creating tags the easy way

From: john <ruttmannn_at_gmx.de>
Date: 2006-05-23

Hi Tobias,

> >Am I the only human beeing on this planet using rockbox and linux and
> >does have a desperate need for replaygain? Does no one else mix some
> >tracks from the 70's with current pop music in a playlist and listen
> >to full albums as an entity the other day? Is just everyone using
> >foobar2000?

> I think you are mixing up mp3gain and replaygain:

Not really, it`s more that I'm not an english native speaker which
gives funny results.

> Mp3gain uses the same algorithm as replaygain to calculate loudness,
> also writes some tags, but in addition changes the mp3 sound data itself
> (reversibly and without re-encoding). That means that files treated with
> mp3gain will play with the correct loudness on all players, including
> portables without Rockbox.

And giving exactly the problem I stated: The tags written by mp3gain
are useless for rockbox and you have adjusted loudness ones and
forever, so you cannot switch between track-, album- and no-gain on
the fly, without manipulating the file again via mp3gain.

cu,
John