Subject: Re: Release policy and coordination

Re: Release policy and coordination

From: Malcolm Tyrrell <malcoh0l_at_yahoo.ie>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 11:34:48 +0100 (BST)

> ... The moment we come out of freeze, a whole slew of new
> features will go into the source, and a slew of new bugs with them.
> If the current code is flaky, how much more flaky will post 3.0 code
> be?

Has the possibility of maintaining seperate release branches been
considered?

I'm thinking of something like the Debian system or the Linux kernel.
For example:

Stable Versions:
* series of stable versions which are subversions of 3.0
* e.g. 3.0.1, 3.0.2...
* Support for Archos and iRiver players only
* "Stable" but "not perfect"
* The feature set is fixed, only bugfixes and minor improvements
are applied
* Bug reports affecting these versions considered a priority.

Unstable Versions:
* series of unstable versions which are subversions of 3.1
* e.g. 3.1.1, 3.1.2...
* Support for Archos, iRiver, iAudio and iPods.
* "Unstable" but "not too bad"
* Bugfixes are applied
* New features are added, even if slightly buggy, but only those
intended for the next stable release.

When the feature set of the unstable version is fixed and the code
is sufficiently stable, it becomes the new 3.2.* stable version, and
new unstable releases are called 3.3.*.

Just a suggestion :-)

Malcolm.