Subject: Re: Release policy and coordination

Re: Release policy and coordination

From: Jonathan Corbet <corbet_at_lwn.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 08:19:18 -0600

Andrew Hart <ahart_at_dim.uchile.cl> wrote:

> I agree whole heartedly with the sentiments below concerning the typical
> user who is too lazy, stupid or incapable of taking five minutes to read
> the release notes.

Wow. Is that really how this project views its users? That will put
off more people than the battery life issue ever could.

I guess I would counter that users who cannot be bothered to read the
written materials will never succeed in installing the bootloader, and
thus will not be affected by the battery life problem. For the rest, a
prominent note in the installation instructions should be a sufficient
word to the wise.

I still think that H3xx Rockbox is an improvement over the stock
firmware in enough ways that it is worth making generally available. If
the project would rather leave it out of the 3.0 release, it's not a
huge deal, though; as has been pointed out, those of us who want it can
still find it.

jon