Subject: subversion (was: mp3_encoder.c has CR-LF line endings in CVS)

subversion (was: mp3_encoder.c has CR-LF line endings in CVS)

From: <postmaster_at_diffenbach.org>
Date: 2006-06-11

Stephan Wezel wrote:
> or we could switch to svn(subversion). Because svn has an option with
> that the eol-style ist set depending on the OS on wich the checkout is
> done.

I heartily second this. Having used both cvs and subversion,
subversion is much better in its features and more user-friendly.
Particularly useful is subversion's "revert" command; to do the same
thing in cvs, one either has to apply a backward diff or delete the
changed file and cvs update or known the version number to explicitly
"update" to. All around a pain.

Revert is great, especially when you've been mucking about adding
logfs or trying out experimental code.

And almost all subversion commands other than commit and update don't
require net-access; this spares the rockbox servers and accommodates
those of us who aren't always connected to the web.

And (I gush on), branching is much easier with subversion too. On one
professional project I worked on, each developer got his own branch,
did his own stuff, and when he felt it was ready, committed it to teh
shared trunk branch. I think this would be especially useful for
developers (like me) who don't have cvs commit rights; we could each
make our personal branches, and then diff out patches against the trunk.

Subversion is so useful, I use a subversion db of rockbox locally,
copying changes I've made there to my local copy of Rockbox's cvs. The
only tedious part is copying to the cvs in order to diff out patches.