Subject: Re: recording monitoring issue on some h1x0 players

Re: recording monitoring issue on some h1x0 players

From: Jens Arnold <>
Date: 2006-06-24

On 24.06.2006, Peter D'Hoye wrote:

> I'm unable to spend time on this issue, maybe one of you can
> check it out?

> The problem seems to be that when using the option that
> rockbox boots into the recording screen, there is no audio
> monitoring possible until you leave and re-enter the recording
> screen.

> related links:

> original message from Alan Martello:

> By repeatedly checking out versions from CVS and doing builds,
> I was able to determine that the build on 2006-05-12 works but
> the build on 2006-05-13 does not. Upon diff-ing the source
> trees, I find the following files have changed.
> In apps:
> debug_menu.c, settings.c, sound_menu.c
> In firmware:
> pcm_record.c
> Anyway, I think I've reached my limit. The "sleep(HZ)" fix
> works. My guess is that the rearrangement to pcm_record when
> SPDIF support was added on 2006-05-13 tweaked some
> initialization code that was working fine before the change.

> If you can think of anything else I can look at or have
> suggestions to test, let me know.

I'm not sure, but it might be that it has to do with a change
that Slasheri did way before these changes to pcm_record.c
happened, iirc even before recording was implemented for
irivers. Iirc he changed the audio init to happen in the
background, in order to cut a bit on boot time. Maybe we're
seeing a race condition here?

Sorry, I've got no time to check that right now...

Regards, Jens