Subject: Another list optimization

Another list optimization

From: <postmaster_at_diffenbach.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 05:21:02 -0400

In my last email to you, Abigail, I announced a patch to optimize
gui_list scrolling when the first item on a page remains the same.
That worked by only updating the two lines that changes, the line the
cursor left and the line the cursor arrived at.

I've now implemented another optimization, used when items "move off"
the top or bottom of the list. The implementation just copies the
framebuffer over itself, to move the unchanged items up or down in the
viewport.

This results in a time cost about 1/3 of that of the standard
implementation, when using a font that allows 16 lines per screen.
Timings include the setup time, and time to discover which
optimization to use. (See data at the end of this email.)

However, it works badly with backgrounds, as it copies the background
along with the list item text.

Frankly, while Minty is lovely, I'm not a big fan of backgrounds. I
suppose the work-around is to have three framebuffers, one for the
text, one for a text mask, and one for the background, and combine
them when actually writing the screen.

Probably there's a clever way to make the text framebuffer and the
mask the same, given that no font is antialiased.

Any thoughts on this?

Data below.
Key:
n = normal, cvs implementation, used when the list wasn't previously
on the screen;
o = optimization when the list items in the virewport don't change,
and only the cursor moves, already released as a patch;
1 = scroll forward optimization when a new item appears at the bottom
of the viewport and an item disappears from the top;
2 = scroll backward optimization when a new item appears at the top of
the viewport and an item disappears from the bottom (higher cost than
1 is because the 2 loop isn't unrolled and the 1 loop is);
ld = just a meaningless notation indicating where in the program the
debug line is.
Times are in microseconds elapsed.

Three things about the data are noteworthy: absent paged scrolling or
page down, most list scrolling uses the optimizations, mostly that'll
be the new (1 or 2) optimizations, and optimized scrolling is
significantly faster than normal scrolling.

ld 2 51771
ld 2 53730
ld 2 50914
ld 2 49914