Subject: Re: iPod's framebuffer format

Re: iPod's framebuffer format

From: <postmaster_at_diffenbach.org>
Date: 2006-07-08

Oh.

Currently I don't think we have the requisite code speed to play
movies on the ipod. To get there, we'll need at least two things: a
faster memcpy and faster video routines.

I've been working on an assembly language memcpy to help with this;
currently it is faster on large copy lengths (the slope of the line is
less) than either the linux kernel's or uclinix's memcpy. (And faster
than the C memcpy we currently use.)

For all copy lengths, the absolute speed is always lower than the
linux kernel's memcpy.

For word aligned data or same aligned data, the absolute speed is also
always less than uclinux's. But uclinux's memcpy has a faster absolute
speed for mixed aligned data when the copy length is < ~64 bytes.