Subject: A nasty inefficieny in file.c?

A nasty inefficieny in file.c?

From: <postmaster_at_diffenbach.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 21:49:28 -0400

As some of you know, I've written an ARM assembly memcpy for ipod
targets. In my attempts to make it as efficient as possible, I wanted
to profile how memcpy is actually used in rockbox. My profiling turned
up a rather nasty inefficiency in file.c.

File.c's readwrite function calls memcpy a couple of places. One of
things it calls memcpy for is to copy "headbytes", whatever those are.

file.c at line 490:
     /* any head bytes? */
     if ( file->cacheoffset != -1 ) {
         int offs = file->cacheoffset;
         int headbytes = MIN(count, SECTOR_SIZE - offs);
         if (write) {
             memcpy( file->cache + offs, buf, headbytes );
             file->dirty = true;
         }
         else {
             memcpy( buf, file->cache + offs, headbytes );
         }

         if (offs + headbytes == SECTOR_SIZE) {
             if (file->dirty) {
                 int rc = flush_cache(fd);
                 if ( rc < 0 ) {
                     errno = EIO;
                     return rc * 10 - 2;
                 }
             }
             file->cacheoffset = -1;
         }
         else {
             file->cacheoffset += headbytes;
         }

         nread = headbytes;
         count -= headbytes;
     }

What I'm finding is that headbytes is very often 1, so memcpy is being
called to copy a single byte.

In a short (< 5 minutes) run of rockbox, I count 1950 calls to memcpy
to copy a single "headbyte".

In most cases, it appears that all readwrite is doing is copying the
single headbyte, so it appears we're paying the whole overhead of
calling readwrite (and memcpy) just to copy a single byte.

Of course, there's much to be said for having simple code that calls
standard ANSI functions (like memcpy), but we're incurring a lot of
function call overhead to replace a *p = *q

Attached is the logf output from my test run. It contains two types of
lines, a line indicating the value of headbytes, and a line indicating
the parameters passed to memcopy, in the form:
dst % 4, src %4, len, address of memcpy's caller

memcpy 0,0,512,293576
memcpy 0,0,512,293576
memcpy 0,0,512,293576
memcpy 0,0,512,293576