Subject: Re: genlang -u

Re: genlang -u

From: Magnus Holmgren <lear_at_algonet.se>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:04:28 +0200

Jonas H wrote:

> Magnus Holmgren wrote:
>> Every time I run genlang -u (under Cygwin), I get a bunch of error
>> messages like these, seemingly for every existing string in the
>> translated file:
>>
>> Warning: dest before line 8507 lacks quotes!
>> Warning: source before line 8507 lacks quotes!
>> Warning: voice before line 8507 lacks quotes!
>>
>> Am I the only one, or is this genlang quirk? The generated file looks
>> fine, despite that genlang, when run in verbose mode, says this for the
>> "failing" strings:
>
> I've reported this as FS#5437 a while ago. I'm using Linux and Perl 5.8.8.

And I've now figured out why this happens. If you don't specify a target
with "-t", you get the above messages. The problem is in the parsetarget
function; if it doesn't find a matching target, it will set the strref
to an empty string.

As currently implemented, the checks for the strings "none" and
"deprecated", as well as the syntax check, isn't useful when doing an
update - since they'd only be applied to the specified target - and
should be disabled, IMHO.

   Magnus