Subject: Re: my next crazy idea... rework the menu system

Re: my next crazy idea... rework the menu system

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:27:09 +1000

On 23/08/06, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Jonathan Gordon wrote:
>
> > I think I forgot to mention the reason for the text/xml file was so
> > that the entire menu structure could be done in the one file. e.g
>
> I think XML is terrible when meant for humans to read and write.
>
> > Now, if that could be done by preproccessor magic then that would be
> > great... but I cant tihnk how to do it simply..?
>
> Also, your approach seems to mostly focus how to remove unnecessary lines in
> the menu code but the "option bloat" is also due to all little
> support-functions etc that each little thing requires and not only for the
> little lines in the actual menu, and I didn't see your approach address that.

To be honest, I dont think that should be a reason to ignore a feature
because most settings/options have "localised" effects, so if an
option is effecting some other part of the code its either been badly
implemented or should be excluded possibly.
This is why I have ignored this in the idea.
(That said, I have no problems with options being excluded for that
reason if they effect binary size _severly_, and I am guessing that
binary would drop considerably with this)