Subject: Re: Option rework (was: Re: my next crazy idea... rework the menu system)

Re: Option rework (was: Re: my next crazy idea... rework the menu system)

From: mat holton <mat_at_lessermatters.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:40:12 +0100

On 8/23/06, *Jonas H* <rasher_at_rasher.dk <mailto:rasher_at_rasher.dk>> wrote:

> That's of course an option, but it'd be much nicer to have a dedicated
> .cfg editor, that allowed you to see the possible values, so you
> wouldn't have to type them out, you could just select them. I imagined
> something like the text viewer, except with a cursor that selects the
> value, and when you press a button, a screen pops up with that
> setting's
> possible values. That would of course require a non-trivial amount of
> both coding and maintenance.
>

> I quite like that idea. Firefox works a bit like this and I think it
> works quite well. You have the most used options in the settings menu,
> but can do all the tweaking you want using about:config.
I like the firefox about:config setting screen as well and I think
rockbox would benefit from something similer. Most of the time my
girlfriend is happy with Rockbox (now she's used to it) but occasionally
asks for something (say, sleep timer) and I have to show her through
loads of menus, past loads of stuff she won't (or at least rarely) be
interested in.

I know, this has been discussed before (as well as today) but I'm all
for an 'extra-pile-of-settings-hidden-away-somewhere' screen (I think a
plugin is a great idea). And make the basic menu functional and
understandable.