Subject: TALK_ID ADVICE FOR NEWBIE

TALK_ID ADVICE FOR NEWBIE

From: Andrew Hart <ahart_at_dim.uchile.cl>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 18:22:07 -0400

Hi folks,

I am hoping that someone can point me in the direction of what I'm doing
wrong.

I want to have some audible feedback when Rockbox is ready after it has
been powered on. So, I tried adding the line

            talk_id(LANG_ON, false);

to main.c, but I've had no joy. rockbox remains silent upon start-up.

I tried placing this line just before browse_root() in app_main() and
just after app_main() in main().

I would have guessed the voice codec would pick it up whenever it got
cpu time. From studying the code in menu.c, it seems that talk_id
should be enough to generate speech, but it doesn't seem to be happening
for me here.

Perhaps there's still stuff being initialised when I call talk_id, but I
don't understand it all enough yet to see what could be going wrong in
this respect.

In case it is useful, I'm compiling Rockbox for the Iriver H300 series
players under Cygwin as follows:

make bin
make zip

and then unzipping rockbox.zip to the player. I've also just tried
copying rockbox.iriver to the player as that is the only file that
changes (and it's a lot quicker).

So, anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks,
Andrew.