Subject: Re: menu/settings merging take 2!

Re: menu/settings merging take 2!

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 21:30:28 +0200

Burelli Luca wrote:
> A side question: is there something that absolutely _needs_ to be stored
> in RAM in these models? Can't the system be unified and write always only
> to cfg files, with all the added benefits (e.g. no more "save your
> settings" etc...)?
> I just don't have any knowledge of Archos models. Is that for some
> compatibility with the OF?

One example of settings that have to be stored in nonvolatile RAM/EEPROM
is the "Car adapter mode" flag, and various charging parameters
(Archos). Those can't be stored on disk, since the battery may be too
low to spin up the disk.

Also, the Archos V1 Recorder can't block the OFF button, so the resume
information has to be stored in the RTC in case the user shuts off by
holding OFF.

Another example is the settings for USB charging on the iriver H300,
which has to be stored in EEPROM, since we can't spin up the disk just
to charge. The battery may be too low to do that, and the H300 may crash
or shutdown.

Just a few examples from the top of my head.

Linus