Subject: Re: menu/settings merging take 2!

Re: menu/settings merging take 2!

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 11:38:26 +1000

On 08/09/06, Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> Jonathan Gordon wrote:
> > Both config blocks have been removed. All settings are now stored in a
> > very long list (settings_list.c).
> > Settings are loaded automatically from /.rockbox/config.cfg and
> > /.system.cfg (system.cfg is used for settings which are important but
> > the user does not configure them, random seed, etc.)
>
> How do you plan to store the settings that need to be stored in the RTC
> RAM on the Archos Recorder models?
>
> Linus

because the number of settings that really need to be stored there
will be tiny compard to what is stored there today I tihnk it would be
ok to just pretend the rtc RAM is an array of ints.
Now, there is about 20bits left in the item flags, so we can either
use one bit to say to store in ram and it stores in the next vailble
array item, or we use a few bits and store the array item number into
the flags for the item.
The down side to the first one is that we go back to needing config
numbers, the down side to the 2nd is obviously "wasting" bits on a
more special case.

Which way is better?

... 30sec of thinking later....
I think it will have to be the first way. because vairables which are
#ifdef'ed out will become annoying with the rtc RAM array numbers.
also, the config version really wont be as annoying as it is now (i.e
the only things which will be lost with a config version change are
the rtc items, which will probbaly be stored to disk also anyway)