Subject: Kuni's CDC-Emu

Kuni's CDC-Emu

From: Manuel Dejonghe <manuel_at_dejonghe.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:47:52 +0200

Hi all,

a while ago, a german fellow (Matthias Klumpp, aka Kuni) offered on
his website (http://home.tiscali.de/matthiasklumpp/) a toolkit to
emulate a VAG (Volkswagen) CD-Changer, allowing to use the
CDC-Sound-In to listen to rockbox-music in a Car.

Without the emulator, a VAG-radio would not allow listening to the audio input.

Later, the circuit was able to take the head unit's commands and
translate them into archos-remote commands.

A bit later, he even found out how to write texts on the "FIS"
("Fahrer Informations System", which translates to "Drivers Info
System"), the display build in, usually showing the radio stations
name and track number and so on.

At the beginning, he was selling for a low fee a printed circuit and a
programmed micro-controller, there was no information for free on his
website.

After he stopped supporting, he got so much feedback he decided to
change the formula: Circuit and shematics for free, programmed
microcontroller per snail mail.
Still no sources.

Unfortunately, he's not responding to mail anymore. This valuable
knowhow seems lost, since the website does not explain in details the
protocols HU<->CDC and HU<->FIS

The guy has been on this list as well, like two years ago.
I remember having been in contact with him (myself and a co-worker) to
discuss some things (although I cannot find these mails anymore).

This is just a request to the list if there is anybody else who had
been in contact with him, possibly in possession of more information,
source code, diagrams, flashed micro-controllers (that could hopefully
be read back out)

I'd be glad to be able to connect the iriver through the remote-port
to my audi radio and FIS.

And I'd be glad as well to find an open-source collector (like
sourceforge) to host the bits of software that are recovered.

If there is somebody knowing/having/wanting anything about it, please
let me know.

~lImbus