Subject: RE: Tetrox renamed to Rockblox, for trademark reasons

RE: Tetrox renamed to Rockblox, for trademark reasons

From: Jim Tinney <jim_at_tailoredmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 20:56:35 -0700

Michael Sevakis said:

>I wasn't speaking of the World Wrestling Federation :) but re: Rockbox. As
>understand the same names can be used if not to indicate the same thing, at
>least in the US. Dumb example: Foo Meat Packing, Inc. and Foo
Manufacturing,

> >>(pc-mag?) I suspected that this would start happening if rb "mattered
>too

>> See WWF (renaming of, copyright infringement)...
>>
>> Looks like the only outfit with any prior claim would be "The Rock Box",
>> British chain of music stores (since 1987). They've had an online
presence
>> as "rockbox.co.uk" for as long as I've known...

Yah, that's actually what I meant - you can't get much different than World
Wrestling Federation and World Wildlife Fund, but there you go - World
Wildlife Fund successfully sued the "other WWF" and now they are WWE... I
guess what I was getting at is you never know till you get the C&D letter,
then you do what makes sense :-). I don't think Rockbox is particularly in
trouble - it's well known, and any action would have occured by now, I'd
think.

--technogeek