Subject: Re: Question about V2 .lang file format

Re: Question about V2 .lang file format

From: Andrew Hart <ahart_at_dim.uchile.cl>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 19:55:24 -0400

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Andrew Hart wrote:
>> I'm in the midst of writing a utility to build .voice files using the
> new V2 lang file format.
>
> Uh, genlang -o was made just to let you use the old scripts without
> having to do this!

>> [rest snipped]

Yes, I know that. But in order to use the old scripts, someone with a
dev environment or Perl interpreter has to run genlang on the .lang file
and publish the result so users who aren't so savvy can download that
file and generate .voice files with there own software speech
synthesizers. Just thought I'd try my hand at filling in a bit of a
gap. If a link to the daily or bleeding edge .langs is available, folks
would be able to simply grab the necessary files and build new voices
which would allow people's .voice files to keep up with cvs more easily.

Just to clarify, when I said write .lang files, I meant I can really
just write .lang files, not .lng files. This was primarily so I could
use diff to verify that after loading a .lang, I had actually loaded it
all correctly. I'm not trying to replace genlang here, just duplicate
enough of its functionality so I can get voice strings out.
However, with the .lang file support I've written so far, one could
possibly hack up a gui-style editor for writing/updating .lang files.

I do need to check that all the Unicode stuff works properly.

In fact, what I really want to do, is to get the .voice file building
script and the voicebox script into a single program with a nice little
UI to make it a piece of cake for the average Joe to use. In
particular, it would be nice to let users set the rate and volume of
there generated .mp3 clips and .voice file audio dynamically through
some kind of user interface. At the moment, you've got to know enough
about MS SAPI and scripting to adjust the rate and volume of the tts engine.

At least, if no one is interested in it, I'll have learned something and
had a bit of fun putting it together. ;-)
Oh, and of course, I'll use it myself. :-)

Thanks for the reference to the gen 2 document. I thought I'd seen
that doc somewhere before, but couldn't find the copy I thought I had saved.

Many thanks for helping out.

Cheers,
Andrew.