Subject: RE: MP3 playing bug with recent versions of RB on H140

RE: MP3 playing bug with recent versions of RB on H140

From: Christopher Woods <christof_at_infinitus.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:41:42 +0100

I might be wrong (please correct me if I am!) but from what I've seen of the
circuit board and the reset switch, with the device's casing off, I believe
the reset button is nothing more than a software button, insofar that it
doesn't actually break any circuit. To me, it looks like pressing it merely
instructs the power circuitry to perform a power cycle, just like pressing
the play button instructs the playback circuitry to begin playback (without
the covers and the buttons on, the reset and playback control buttons look
identical)... I've only ever had a hard lockup once, where I couldn't even
reset the device with the reset button, and that was when (I think) the
battery reached a pretty low point and at the same time the hard drive was
being accessed. I'd had my H140 for a while by then, at least a year and a
half, coming on two years, so it may have just been that the device was
getting towards the end of its life cycle (used almost daily)... Anyways, I
ended up having to take the entire device apart (good job I was in
University and had access to the right tools), but I had to take it apart
completely and short out the power pins leading into the PCB. Which meant
taking the hard drive out. With the device still running. Not good.

Once I did that and put it back together again, the device wouldn't boot at
all, but I took it home, plugged it in and left it charging overnight and in
the morning it powered up first time. I ended up getting a new one soon
after though, as I dropped it onto concrete from about three feet in the
air. Not clever.

I myself use an older build (cvs-060607) and aside from AAC playback not
being realtime (has that ever been fixed?) it works alright. I get
occasional lockups when I'm viewing JPG files and attempt to navigate back
out to the directory listing a little too 'fast'... It's ok though apart
from that.

But yes, I do believe that the reset button isn't a hardware switch at all,
to me it looked just like a software switch just like the other buttons on
the device.