Subject: Re: MP3 playing bug with recent versions of RB on H140

Re: MP3 playing bug with recent versions of RB on H140

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 00:09:59 +0200

Christopher Woods wrote:
> I might be wrong (please correct me if I am!) but from what I've seen of the
> circuit board and the reset switch, with the device's casing off, I believe
> the reset button is nothing more than a software button, insofar that it
> doesn't actually break any circuit. To me, it looks like pressing it merely
> instructs the power circuitry to perform a power cycle, just like pressing
> the play button instructs the playback circuitry to begin playback (without
> the covers and the buttons on, the reset and playback control buttons look
> identical)...

Well, it is connected to the RSTI signal of the CPU, just as you would
expect of a reset button.

> I've only ever had a hard lockup once, where I couldn't even
> reset the device with the reset button, and that was when (I think) the
> battery reached a pretty low point and at the same time the hard drive was
> being accessed.

It is possible that the low power made the flash ROM enter a tristate
mode. That happened to me once on an H300. Then I had to remove the
battery, just like you described.

> But yes, I do believe that the reset button isn't a hardware switch at all,
> to me it looked just like a software switch just like the other buttons on
> the device.

If it was, how would you explain that the reset button works at all when
running Rockbox? There is no code in Rockbox that handles a "software
reset button". Trust me, it is connected to the CPU RSTI input.

Linus