Subject: Re: rockbox-recorder-20061122 - volume representation messed up

Re: rockbox-recorder-20061122 - volume representation messed up

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 03:54:04 -0600

Most audio devices have exactly *one* scheme for volume: Higher numbers are
louder. I have some that are 0-10, some that are 1-10 (with only mute being
off, 1 is still quiet), some that are 0-40, 0-20, 0-30, 0-100, etc. The only
real consistency is that higher numbers are louder. Yes, there are no
negatives, but I don't see how that makes any more sense than a dB scale. At
least the dB scale gives a functional point of relative reference, rather
than just being arbitrary numbers that some programmer decided were enough
slices to cut the pie into.