Subject: Re: rockbox-recorder-20061122 - volume representation messed up

Re: rockbox-recorder-20061122 - volume representation messed up

From: Sander Sweers <>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 13:47:10 +0100

On 11/23/06, mat holton <> wrote:
> Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
> > mat holton wrote:
> >> how many hi-fi's have negative numbers next to the volume knob? None,
> >> that's how many.
> >
> > That's odd. Then maybe my hi-fi isn't a hi-fi, because it displays the
> > volume in dB. And I like it.
> >
> > We could use any representation we want, and we opted for a
> > representation that actually means something, instead of an arbitrary
> > range. Most people tend to use the volume control interactively
> > anyway, you change the volume until it sounds right, regardless of
> > what the display says.
> >
> > Linus
> >

> Sarcasm, I see, clever.
> So I'm wrong about hi-fi's displaying dB scale. There are also
> audiophile's that spend £50 on a piece of speaker-cable or buy little
> boxes to rest speaker their cable on. These kind of people would
> probably appreciate a dB scale. Most, I'm guessing, would prefer to not
> have to deal with negative numbers.

Audiophile's have nothing to do with which scale is to be used in
rockbox so please leave them out of the discussion.

> Once again though, I don't mind, I can deal with seeing a negative
> number when I would expect to see positive numbers. This is simple an
> opinion about what I believe most people would be more comfortable seeing.

Create your own WPS and have it show whatever scale or representation
you want. (icather does this for example).

Just because users expect it to be a certain way does not mean it is
correct. I am for the scale as it is now because it looks better to