Subject: Re: rockbox-recorder-20061122 - volume representation messed up

Re: rockbox-recorder-20061122 - volume representation messed up

From: gl <>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 15:39:24 -0000

> I had to remember that 0dB are 92% on the AJR20
> and something else on the H340.

It doesn't need to be. Just code it so that 0 and 100% always lie on
exactly the first and last values,. I did that with my original 'abitrary
enum bitmaps' patch for volume, exactly so that a 'mute' and 'max' bitmap
would work correctly (a reworked version of that patch was recently added,
but it unfortunately removed that functionality).

> In the old Rockbox version, the answer was 92% (if I recall correctly). I
> think "0dB" conveys that information much better than "92%".

Sure, but 100% for 0dB and (say) 110% convey it just as well.

> Therefore, a common scale on every
> device is indisputable A Good Idea (TM). I don't want to stretch the
> discussion too much as you already wrote that you don't care, but I
> could give you good reasons why the dB-scale is the best selection for a
> common scale and I'm happy we have it!

Most consumer types would be happier with an inuitive scale. Most
audiophiles probably prefer dB or don't care either way.