Subject: Re: Greetings, and a database/bookmarks question

Re: Greetings, and a database/bookmarks question

From: <nmsmolin_at_mtu.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 01:46:17 -0500 (EST)

Ack! Sorry about the formatting disaster there. This should hopefully be
nicer:

----------

Greetings!

My name is Nick Smolinske, and I'm a newcomer to rockbox development.
I've been looking at the project for a while now, but I just got an Ipod
5G 60GB, so now it's time to play. :) You can call me Smo or Nick; I go
by 'tehsmo' in the IRC channel.

Anyway, I'd like to get some feedback on the database+bookmark issue (FS#
5072). I would like to work on getting bookmarks working when using the
database, but I'm unsure at the moment as to how to go about this.

Currently, bookmarks are either associated with playlist files or
directories, and they simply don't work in database mode. I've thought of
a couple ways to reconcile this with the tag database:

(1) The easy approach:

Only allow bookmarks to be associated with single files when using the
database. They would be either stored in the containing directory of the
file (to allow for interoperability with the non-database bookmarks) or
stored in a bookmark file just for that file.

(2) The middle-of-the-road approach:

Add the ability to associate a bookmark with a dynamically generated
playlist from the database. This leads to some issues:

(a) What happens if an id3 tag changes?
(b) There are multiple ways to get to a given playlist using the database
browser, and they shouldn't always be treated differently, but associating
them together would be tricky.

(3) The most dramatic approach:

Have single-file association of bookmarks, like (1), but make them the
only option. Dynamically generate lists of bookmarks for playlists when
in both the database mode *and* the file-browser mode. This would have
the advantage of a more consistent API, at the disadvantage of possibly
losing some features.

I'm leaning toward option (1) or (3) at the moment, as they seem the
easiest to implement. (3) seems the best for the long term. The only
issue I see with it is that users may want bookmarks to be associated with
one playlist containing a file, but not necessarily another. Is this a
wanted feature? Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
   -Smo