Subject: Re: Rockbox 2.5.1 for Archos Machines Updated

Re: Rockbox 2.5.1 for Archos Machines Updated

From: Tom Cole <tcole_at_xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 11:41:33 +1300

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 03:03:16 -0800, "Zakk Roberts" <midkay_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Sorry john, by order of management, updates are prohibited!
>
>This is utterly ridiculous. You started with a "supported build plus a
>bug fix". That's easy to support and simple enough to be allowed on
>the wiki (the wiki, being hosted directly on the rockbox.org site, at
>least implies that anything found on it should be supported). Now you
>have "supported build with a number of patches, additions and fixes"
>to the point where we can't support it. That's simply that.
>
>You took a nice idea: fix a crucial bug or two in 2.5 to help out
>users; very kind, and I definitely thought it was cool that you took
>the time to do that. And then you blew it up into this unsupported
>build, and when we told you that we can't support this megapatched
>archive of code (which is totally acceptable on its own) you twisted
>it around like we're prohibiting you from updating/modifying the
>source and distributing it, and even suggesting we're going to rip it
>down. Yeah... right.

"Support" - Here we are back on the issue of support.

As I pointed out to Paul, this was *never* an Official Supported
Release. Any support needed was provided by me via the forums and
mailing list.

This was made quite clear on the wiki page from day one.
Quote from version 1 of the wiki page, 17th March 2006, complete with
spelling mistakes:

"* This is an unofficial private release of Rockbox for the Archos
Recorder V1.
 * This is not an official release of Rockbox by the develpers, but is
being made available for download here as some people have expressed
interest in using it."

>Modified builds are allowed. That's GPL! What we *cannot* do is
>support these modified builds. Your initial 2.5.1 build was an
>exception, because it was only a couple of bug fixes - no reason that
>should break any compatibility or introduce new bugs. Now it's just
>another "Rockbox how I want it to be" build in the giant repository of
>unsupported builds, and you need to put it there where it belongs.

No - it's *always* been a "Rockbox how I want it to be" build. Please do
not try to rewrite history.

Why did I post an update now?
Previously quoted to the list, replying to Paul:

"Recently, one of the developers advised me that I should provide the
source as this was a requirement of the Rockbox GPL licence. As I had
further developed my version for my own use I didn't have the source of
the version on the wiki page anymore. To put things right I have
provided new downloads plus the source as required."

The developer mentioned is Linus.

Anyway, I'm in the process of getting a hosting site organised, so we
can all wash our hands of the whole mess.