Subject: Possibility of a 3GP video player

Possibility of a 3GP video player

From: Jacob Rau <jacob.rau_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 12:26:03 -0500

Hey all,

I know that you guys shoot down anyone who has a feature request on this
list, and for good reason; this is a hobby project. So, don't look at
this as a feature request, rather, an idea for improvement on something
that's already being developed.

I recently encoded some video for my friend's phone. It plays 3GP files.
The file I encoded was about 3 minutes long; about 3-4 MB. That's really
good; the video looked fine and there was not one artifact in the sound
or video. And the encoder for 3GP is part of mplayer, I believe; I have
a freeware tool that is just a frontend for a bunch of free encoders
that could do 3GP. And it is already used in embedded devices.

So why not? Does it sound like 3GP would be a good format? I understand
MPEGs can get huge fast, but at a little over a meg a minute in 3GP
format, quite a few full-length movies could be stored on the nano. I'd
be willing to help, but I know almost nothing about the current video
setup in Rockbox. And I got more confused when I saw previously written
plugins that used the frame buffer; I don't understand the format.

Just wanted to mention it.

Jacob