Subject: RE: Optimizing plugin-shutdowns using threads

RE: Optimizing plugin-shutdowns using threads

From: Jonas Hellesøe Nielsen <jonas_hn_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 17:54:26 +0100

> On 18/03/07, Timo Horstschäfer <mail_at_timo-horstschaefer.de> wrote:> > Jonathan Gordon wrote:> > > > >Timo Horstschäfer wrote:> > > > >I think some kind of a disk write-queue would achieve the same.> > > > >Or maybe just a global write buffer, that flushes on every disk spin up.> > > >> > > > Thats surely a better idea, and i think it could be used in general, not> > > > only in plugins. Would it be hard to code?> > >> > > This exists already, but isnt really useable in the current form for> > > plugins. The way it works is a function registers a callback for when the> > > disk is going to spin down... but this wont work for functions because they> > > may not be in memory at that point anymore.> > A write-buffer would be independant from plugins. The write function would> > just return immediately and I think it's causing the hang when exiting a> > plugin.> > Also the write-buffer may slightly increase the battery runtime because of> > less disk spin ups.> >> Right, we already do this, but in a more powerful way than just a> single buffer. The downside is we cant use it for plugins...>

But is such a buffer hard to implement in the plugin API? I think it would be cool to implement it as a seperate function, with a name which indicated that it _didn't_ locked.

Maybe a seperate buffer could be maked upon the startup of rockbox OR the startup of any plugin which needed non-locking file writing (FILEWRITE_NONLOCKING_DECLARE ). It could the be cleared or deleted on plugin exit if needed (_after_ the disk writes was done!).

Jonashn
Windows Live Spaces er her! Du kan nemt oprette dit eget personlige websted.
http://spaces.live.com/signup.aspx