Subject: RE: WPS tokenizer

RE: WPS tokenizer

From: RaeNye <raenye_at_netvision.net.il>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:18:35 +0200

>> I only suggest that the task of parsing of the text-based WPS file and
>> building a more efficient representation of it would be outsourced to
>> a viewer plugin.

> I don't see how a binary intermediate format would be any more efficient
> than the current highly terse WPS text format.

You surely don't think that reparsing the WPS (that might be well commented)
on every refresh is efficient, so the whole idea of preprocessing the text
format and creating a better representation in memory (the suggested token
array) is a Good Thing.
Whatever this better representation will be, I think we're better off with
keeping the parsing code (which is only run when loading a WPS) in a plugin
and having a simpler parser in core.
I don't really care whether the intermediate represention is the same as the
WPS with comments and whitespace stripped, or with text strings coalesced in
the end of the file and pointers attached, or an obscure binary format.
It's just that you need to parse a simpler format without error checking
(unlike user-supplied WPS).