Subject: Re: remove themes from svn builds?

Re: remove themes from svn builds?

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:44:55 +0200

On 4/15/07, Simon M. <simon.me_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Themes are special for each player, so we would have an "extras"
> package for every player, not one package for all, like it is now.

I don't see any problem with this -- we could just add an additional
link below each svn build that links to the extras package or add a
table of players to a new extras download page, like we already have
for archived builds and the manuals. It's a tiny bit more work for the
average user, but with the introduction of rbutil this wouldn't make
any difference to the user at all. The fonts package needs to be
downloaded (and installed) separately right now anyway, and in the
current state all themes using any other font than the default one
will look broken which is worse IMO.

> And a nicer default theme is a must, because people who want to check
> out Rockbox are (normally) not willing to install extras just to test
> Rockbox.

I disagree. While it would be nice to have a nicer default theme I
don't think a different default theme is "a must". People who are
giving up on Rockbox because of the look (and not having read the
installation instructions in the manual, which would include this
information) aren't needed -- lots of open source software looks ugly
at the first look. And the installation requires several steps anyway
(bootloader, firmware, fonts -- why not bootloader, firmware,
extras?).

But the default theme is a different thing to discuss so it's OT here.

 - Dominik