Subject: Improving simulator

Improving simulator

From: Christian Gmeiner <christian.gmeiner_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 07:42:37 +0000

Hi all.

I know the sources of rockbox for a long time and I think its time for
a revolution :) Maybe you all know the #ifdef SIMULATOR stuff all over
the source... and we could get rid of them with some work.
My idea is to create a new target called x86 where we write
audio/lcd/ata/threading drivers based on sdl and normal *nix.
If a user/developer selects now in tools/configure his player and then
Simulator the build system should generate a
firmware/export/config-x86 based on the selected target (screen size,
recording, remote control, ...) and then should start compiling a
rockbox.x86, plugins and other stuff.

To run the new created rockbox.x86 we need a special boot loader,
which loads compiled code form x86 and executes it.

something like
# bootloader rockbox.x86 <ENTER>
Starting RockBox simulator for target XY...

The big plus point is that we dont need to care about the simulator
with #ifdef's anymore as the simulator is a normal target.

What do you think about my idea?
Thanks,
austriancoder