Subject: Re: Towards restructured manual

Re: Towards restructured manual

From: Jerry Van Baren <gerald.vanbaren_at_smiths-aerospace.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 14:49:03 -0400

Martin Arver wrote:
>> I like that way too. We could have separate chapters for Radio,
>> Recording etc. The only drawback is the fact that the manual chapter
>> numbers will then vary between the targets, and as users tend to name
>> only the section number instead of its name this might cause some
>> misunderstandings. Not sure if that is too much a concern though.
>
> I do though like the idea that you get a specific chapter for
> recording if your player supports that feature. People, and we tend to
> refer to numbering, but the manual being in draft/developing status
> atm those numbers can and will change anytime.
> My wish is that we could focus towards a future release where the
> manual stays the way it is and the recording chapter is e.g. chapter 5
> for targets with that feature, and for the others chapter 5 is the
> plugin chapter (e.g.). This is not a big problem in my humble opinion.

...or you have a "not supported" chapter for the units that don't
support a particular feature. In the above example, for a unit
incapable of recording, Chapter 5 would become:

Chapter 5 Recording

Sorry, recording is not supported by the hardware.

This way the numbering matches. The downside is that someone will get
excited briefly because they think that the mentioned feature (e.g.
recording) is possible on their hardware, but their irrational
exuberance[1] will be tempered quickly.

gvb

[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irrational_exuberance>