Subject: Re: Script to automatically download and install rockbox firmware

Re: Script to automatically download and install rockbox firmware

From: Nix <nix_at_esperi.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 15:31:51 +0100

On 16 May 2007, Menachem Shapiro verbalised:
> In an effort to get it down to the minimum needed to get it to work, I
> tried this:
> SUBSYSTEMS=="scsi", RUN+="home/mshapiro/rockbox_scripts/rockbox_downloader.sh"

You really want it to run for *all* your SCSI devices?

> (I also tried this, in case there was a permissions issue with my script:
> SUBSYSTEMS=="scsi", RUN+="zenity --warning --text 'teeext'")

zenity won't get DISPLAY set so probably won't work :)

> 'udevtest /sys/block/sdb/' returned the following data (with the data
> at the end seeming to indicate that it should run the command when I
> plug in the device.). However, plugging in the device did not result
> in the script running. Any ideas? (If it helps, I an running ubuntu
> 7.04) :

> 'disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:1d.7-usb-0:7:2.0-scsi-0:0:0:0'
> udev_node_mknod: mknod(/dev/.tmp-8-16, 060600, 8, 16) failed: Permission denied

I suppose we shold expect that if you're not running as root :)

> main: run: 'socket:/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event'
> main: run: '/home/mshapiro/rockbox_scripts/rockbox_downloader.sh'

Well, it should have run. :) I'd be inclined to recompile udev with
DEBUG defined and look for debug-priority syslog messages, myself.

(What version of udev is this? udev is evolving fast and there have been
a number of bugs in the RUN area, some of which could incorrectly
suppress execution.)

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names